ObjectiveTo ensure efficient and effective service to the public , civil organizations and other parties those who require services from Provencal Councils,by involving policy decision making for regulating and performance improvements of Provincial Councils.
Contribution to the Vision and Mission of the Ministry
Local government division equally contribute to fulfill the mission of the ministry by ensuring an effective and efficient service according to the aspirations of the public by: assisting local government authorities when they require to purchase machinery / equipment , assisting the improvement of office facilities, prioritizing the need of providing efficient and effective service to the public those who expect to obtain services from Provincial Councils and implementing the front office concept of Provincial councils.
In addition, local government division contribute to reach the vision of the Ministry by ensuring the local government authorities provide efficient and high quality service through analyzing the annual performance report of local government authorities.
- Incorporation and upgrading of local government authorities
- Implementation of actions related to determination of the boundaries of local government authorities
- Coordination with provincial chief secretaries/local government commissioners in order to give solutions to complains made by the public who become unsatisfied when they try to obtain the services of local government authorities.
- Coordination with relevant local government authorities regarding the nominated representations in related to the subject of local government, by the linear ministries/departments.
- Coordination with relevant provinces in order to implement the policy decisions taken by cabinet of ministers.
Special Programmes Implemented in Year 2017
Incorporation/Upgrading of Local Government Authorities
Since the need of a systematic mechanism aroused when working on the proposals made by political parties, public agents, civil organizations and the public regarding the incorporation and upgrading of local government authorities, 12 member committee appointed by ministry built a criteria on a scientific manner.
The committee report containing the above criteria was submitted to the approval of the Cabinet of ministers and they approved it on 2017/08. (Committee report and criteria) Proposals received so far from various parties regarding the incorporation/upgrading of local government authorities, will be reviewed by a committee appointed in provincial level by the Provincial Chief Secretary, and a recommendation report of the same committee will be received before those recommendations will be considered by the ministry to incorporate/upgrade the respective local government authorities according to the requests made.
Assist to Establish Front Offices at 100 Selected Local Government Authorities
In view of providing more efficient and comprehensive service from local government authorities, the concept of front office is introduced and accordingly 108 front offices by Pura Neguma project and 101 front offices by NELSIP project are already been established and the local government department has decided to establish another 100 front offices in the year of 2017 at local government authorities. (List of local government authorities where front offices are already established or to be established)
Accordingly, One Million Rupees is allocated for each authority to establish a front office, out of which Rupees 300,000 is for purchasing of office furniture and the balance for purchasing of computers and accessories required for the front office. (Guidance) . In addition, the Ministry will guide to install the required software and to provide the training in local level for the offices to be assigned in front offices.
Performance Competition of Local Government Authorities
Local government authority management competition is conducted annually in the aim of enhancing the performance of local government authorities by means of evaluation/appreciation of their management.
For that ‘ Performance Enhancing and Confirming Tool’ ( PERFECT) which is established with a criteria developed incorporating the scope of work of Local Government Authorities ( Human recourse management, office management, financial management, public health and sanitary affairs, roads and drainage maintenance, public facilities, welfare facilities and regulation services, etc. ), is used.
Therein the local government authorities are evaluated in provincial level and the winners among them are evaluated in national level.
In the year 2017 the usage of ‘Performance Enhancing and Confirming Tool’ is not done, instead a performance of local authorities in the aspects of garbage disposal and Dengue control is evaluated against a criteria prepared considering timely issues of garbage disposal and Dengue hazard Information
1. List of Local Government Authorities - Sinhala
2. List of machinery& Equipment/vehicles provided by ministries.
3. Ward Maps of LAs - Related to Delimitation
- The list of backward Local Authorities according to the new criteria - 2016 [PDF - 283 KB]
- The list of Sub Offices belongs to Local Authorities - as at 31/12/2017 [PDF - 519 KB]
- 1. Gazette Notification No. 1928/26 dated 21/08/2015 dated 26/1928 published based on the Report of National Delimitation Committee - Sinhala - Tamil - English
- 2. Gazette Notification No. 2006/44 dated 17/02/2017 published based on the report of the Appeal Investigation Committee - Sinhala - Tamil - English
- 3.1 Gazette Notification No. 2047/51 dated 02/12/2017 with the signature of H.E the President based on the committee report rectifying the printing errors, boundaries and names of the wards - Sinhala - Tamil - English
- 3.2 Gazette Notification No. 2047/52 dated 02/12/2017 with the signature of Hon. Faiszer Musthapha, Minister of Provincial Councils, Local Government and Sports based on the committee report rectifying the printing errors, boundaries and names of the wards - Sinhala - Tamil - English
- 4. Gazette Notification No. 2052/34 dated 05/01/2018 that the ward name Enderamulla 01 in lieu of the ward name “Akbhar Town” which is the ward No. 31 of No. 16 – Mahara Pradeshiya Sabha of Gampaha District - Sinhala - Tamil - English
- නව පළාත් පාලන ආයතන සංස්ථාපනය සහ පවත්නා පළාත් පාලන ආයතන උසස් කිරීම සඳහා නිර්ණායක නිර්දේශ කිරීමේ කමිටු වාර්තාව 2017 [PDF - 1 MB]
- Invitation of public Opinion regarding Taxes, License Fees and other Fees charged by the Local Government Institutions
4. Summery of LAs (as at 2019.05.31)
6. Contact Details of CLGs (as at 14.06.2021)
7. Number of Local Government Institutions & the number of representatives in those Local Government Institutions(as at 15.03.2020)
8. Information about the offices of the Assistant Commissioners of Local Government (as at 15.09.2020)
9. Circular for Providing information technological solutions for the services delivered by the local authorities